Does your boss ask you to keep your phone on while on leave?

Does your boss ask you to keep your phone on while on leave?

LONG SHIFTS and overtime at the weekend are the norm for many in the UAE’s workforce, but it seems that’s not enough for some employers. More than half (52 per cent) of employees quizzed in a survey claim that their bosses expect them to be contactable at all times – even when they are on holiday. The other 48 per cent of respondents polled b...

Such a shame: We’re lumped with school fee increase to cover expansion costs

Such a shame: We’re lumped with school fee increase to cover expansion costs

  My kids attend a school in Dubai. We are going to be lumped with a 27 per cent fee increase over a 3-year period to basically cover the costs of the expansion of the school, which really they a... »

Tractors are bellowing out noise, pollution and dust every morning

Tractors are bellowing out noise, pollution and dust every morning

A few months we had a lake in the Meadows attracting mosquitos, rats and flies. Now we have tractors and graders bellowing out noise, pollution and dust, from 7am each morning, including SATURDAYS. Ha... »

Agreed: Obese women should dress to their size in the UAE

Agreed: Obese women should dress to their size in the UAE

How refreshing, someone calling out the obese for their ridiculously inappropriate dress (Letters, Dec 22). Here, here, but please don’t stop there. The obese women and men are disgusting and should l... »

Saudi hits back at claims it forced down oil prices to protect interests

Saudi hits back at claims it forced down oil prices to protect interests

Saudi Arabia’s oil chief has rubbished allegations that the country conspired to bring down oil prices in order to harm other countries and told a summit of Arab energy leaders that he was confident the market would stabilise. The kingdom, which is dependent on oil revenues, is able to weather lower oil prices due to large reserves built up o...

Tinie Tempah includes thrilled fans in Dubai music video

Tinie Tempah includes thrilled fans in Dubai music video

Cameron Diaz engaged to Benji Madden

Cameron Diaz engaged to Benji Madden

Angelina Jolie: ‘Nobody wants me to cook on Christmas Day’

Angelina Jolie: ‘Nobody wants me to cook on Christmas Day’

Things to do in the UAE today: Archery Tag, ice skating and Q43 ladies night

Things to do in the UAE today: Archery Tag, ice skating and Q43 ladies night

>>If you think you could survive the Hunger Games then a new sport will put that to the test. Archery Tag, which uses foam-tipped arrows, is played in teams using inflatable bunkers as shields. ... »

Emirates Litfest competition offers UAE residents a shot at the big time

Emirates Litfest competition offers UAE residents a shot at the big time

Everyone has a story in them, so the old saying goes. But how many budding authors out there have talked a good game and gone no further? UAE residents are being encouraged to put their thinking caps ... »

VIDEO: On the track with Clemens Schmid

VIDEO: On the track with Clemens Schmid

7DAYS’ Megha Merani goes for a spin round the Dubai Autodrome with Al Nabooda Racing team driver Clemens Schmid. The Austrian is currently leading the Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge. Video: Aidan Crawford / Interview: Megha Merani